Chocolate-Chestnut cake

Hello again! This morning I really wanted to bake, but I did not know what. I found this recipe and was like "Lets try it!"

I got this recipe from How To Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson


Here it is!

Ingredients

435g tin of unsweetened chestnut puree



125g soft unsalted butter



1 teaspoon vanilla extract



1 tablespoon dark rum ( I did not use this )



6 large eggs, separated ( you need practice! I nearly messed it up! )



250g melted chocolate  ( IT WORKED!! HOORAY )



pinch of salt



50g caster sugar



25g light muscovado sugar ( I had to use demerara. It worked fine )


22cm springform tin, greased and lined

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4


Beat the chestnut puree with the butter, then add the vanilla, rum, egg yolks, and melted chocolate, blending well. In another bowl, whip the egg whites with the salt until they are foamy. Add the caster sugar gradually to form stiffer, glossy peaks. Then sprinkle the muscovado sugar over and either fold in or whisk slowly. Fold the whites, gently but confidently into the chestnut mixture, a third at a time



Pour into the tin and cook for 45 minutes, until the cake has risen and is firm on top; it will look dry and cracked, but don't panic: it wont taste dry, and the cracks don't matter. 



Cool in the tin for 20 minutes and then turn out on the rack. 



Serves 8-10



Here are the pictures:


The chestnut and the butter

Drinking tea...

Melting chocolate

And the egg whites go in!

Almost in the oven

Cooked and cooling!

With creme fraiche

Washing up with rubber gloves
 



Comments

  1. Hi Millie!
    Perfect timing! I needed a gluten free dairy free recipe for ThanksGiving. And I LOVE chestnut. I'll try this tomorrow morning.
    Love, Sophie and the monkeys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts