Coconut Macaroons

Last September I went to the Abergavenny Food Festival, as I have mentioned before in previous posts. While I was there I saw Claire Ptak and we (my mum and I) bought her book. It is really good and there are loads of amazing recipes in it. She made these coconut macaroons in the demonstration and they looked soooo good. They are really easy to make; you put everything in the pan and mix then scoop them out and bake them. They are sweet and coconuty and just amazing.


She has a cafe in London that I haven't been to yet but I really want to go. It looks amazing and hopefully next time I go to London I can go and buy food there.



This recipe needs egg whites so if you need something to make using the egg yolks you can try these Mini Custard Tarts or you can make Egg Yolk Cookies from her book however I haven't put the recipe on the blog yet so you'll have to wait for that or just buy the book. 

This recipe is from Claire Ptak's Violet Bakery Cookbook. It makes about 10 large macaroons.

Ingredients;

4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey
200g unsweetened desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method;

Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.

Combine all the ingredients in a large pan. Place it on medium-low heat and slowly heat it making sure you are stirring constantly. The mixture will begin to loosen up. Reduce the heat and continue to stir. It will begin to look like rice pudding. The mixture should thicken and begin to dry out. Make sure that it doesn't catch on the bottom.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out macaroons onto the prepared sheet. Leave some space between them as they usually grow. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow them to cool and then enjoy. They keep for about 1 week in an air tight container.


Comments

Popular Posts